CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Dad's Party

Dad's 80th Birthday Party turned out so great! Here's one of the pictures from the party with this cake. I need to write about the party so I can remember the feel of it. We invited a wide diversity of people; and they came from as far away as Illinois to be here in florida with him. (I came from my home in Oregon.) We cooked for two days beforehand; there was Italian Beef and Corned Beef Sloppy Joes, potato salad (I made it from a friend's recipe and everyone really liked it!) Here I am, working on it! There were appetizers and dips and cold-cut trays and a big salad from Olive Garden! Yummmm! And of course cake.
There was also lots of beer and shots flowing. Dad used to be quite the partier, but he rarely imbibes now, but last night, he had four beers. He had a great time! People crowded around him, talking and laughing and never excluding him from the fun.
One thing we did was to set out some paper and pens and asked people to write down their stories about dad, about why they loved him, etc. At first, I was afraid people wouldn't do it, but as the party went on, people would go over to the table and write down their thoughts. Some of them brought tears to our eyes. Dad read them this morning. He didn't say anything, but I know he liked them. Here's what I wrote:

"Dad,
Reader's Digest used to have a feature called "Most Unforgettable Character," and from some of the stories you've told me, you would be a perfect candidate for that. Such as the time you led a herd of goats through downtown LeRoy. And the day you decided to put a burning cigar into the mouth of the Teddy Roosevelt bust at school!

My favorite childhood memories include you teaching me to ride a bike, and visiting you in Heyworth - did you know I met my First Love there? And when I had my accident and woke up in the hospital, there you were at my bedside.

Dad, your wonderful dry sense of humor and the non-judgmental way you have of accepting people as they are, with all their faults & frailties, make you truly an Unforgettable Character. I love you very much, and I hope you are with us for many many years.

Love,
Linda 1-12-2008"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

grannie looked like you had a lot of fun. I just got back from vacation as well and my blog is full of vacation pics not so much crafty things. Glad you are doing well.
chenguna00

krista said...

sounds like you guys had a great party with some special memories!
i used pyzam.com to get a blogger background. there is a link to it on the top of my blog. there are thousands of backgrounds... you just copy the code. Hope this helps :)

Select all the code in the box below and copy it. (right-click and select copy)

Login to your Blogger account and go to Manage "Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard

Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.

Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in. (right-click, paste)

Click "Save Template" and you're DONE!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Oh my it looks like you guys are haveing the beat time..

Cracker Scraps said...

Hey Linda! Your blog background looks awesome and I will have to come back and see about following krista's directions!

Your dad rocks! Glad your unbirthday party went so well! Glad I got to meet you IRL! I thought of another saying from 2001 "Let's Roll", it means a lot now considering how it was used but a good one to keep us aging boombers going! Give Dad a kiss for me, I don't have a dad anymore!

Linda said...

Thanks Jan, I like it too, although I'm not sure I like the way it shows through the pics. But Krista, thanks for your directions. I'll be tweaking my blog a lot from now on!

Christie said...

Linda, Glad you had a great time. Sounds like your dad is very loved.

Musicmom-Amy said...

Looks like a fun time ~ especially for your Dad. When we turn 80, we're allowed to do ANYTHING, even if that means you want 4 beers. Happy it turned out so greeat!