CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 3, 2007

We Survived a Bad Day

Tonight, my grandaughters and their dad (my son) spent the night here. That part was great, but the reason they were here wasn't.

Last Monday, Sarah, my ex-daughter-in-law, called and asked if I would like to have my grandaughters to spend the night on Friday (tonight). Of course I said yes, even though I knew this was her weekend to have the girls. I didn't find out until a couple days later that she had picked that night to marry the guy she left Mike for after cheating on him for months. Mike's brother, Miles, told me I should refuse to watch them, but I told him that would hurt the girls more than anyone. When Mike found out, he called me and said he'd like to spend the night here with the girls, so of course I was glad to say yes. But all of us think that it was pretty cold of Sarah to call me and want me to keep her kids so she could marry this woman-beater. The ironic thing is that her whole family stayed away except for her mother and her brother.

Sarah called and asked to speak to the girls this afternoon to tell them that she is an Utley now (the name of her new husband). I told the girls that my parents had divorced when I was their age, and you can still love a stepfather even though you love and are loyal to your real father. I hope I helped them. Mike wasn't happy--the divorce only became final about a month ago, and her new husband had beaten her up only a few weeks ago, but he seemed to be okay and glad to be with his kids. So we made it through the night. And Mike made it through this last year, and hasn't had a drink since 4th of July. And he's found a church that is really helping him. So I'm praying that God will help us get through all this.

3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

You would think she would want her daughters at her wedding! ODD!

I'm sorry that you, your son and granddaughters are going through this!

Linda said...

Thanks, it helps to know people care.

Becky Heisler said...

I agree with Gabrielle... wouldn't you think that she would have wanted them there for the ceremony at least? Very odd. Your sweet DS sounds like he is much better off without her!!!